A messenger, made with love in India
Hike is India's first social and technology company. Hike was launched on 12 December 2012.
In addition to text messaging, Hike users can send each other graphical stickers, emoticons, images, videos, audios, files, voice messages, contacts and user location. Users can also stay updated with news, cricket scores and jokes in an easily consumable format.
In January 2016, Hike crossed registered over 100 million users. Based out of India, it’s no wonder 60% of hike’s registered users come from the home country. The other 40% of users originate from Europe and the Middle East, proving a very diverse international appeal.
It trumps over WhatsApp, courtesy its Offline chat facility, better sticker collection, hidden chat feature, and free messaging to non-Hike members.
South Korea’s KakaoTalk has over 220 million registered users and 49 million monthly active users. A not very widely-known app in India, KakaoTalk is another strong rival to WhatsApp. The app is also used by 93% of smartphone owners in South Korea, where it is the number one messaging app.
Available in 15 languages, the instant messaging app boasts of several features not available on WhatsApp.
In addition, the app also has animated emoticons. Also, unlike WhatsApp, the app doesn’t need user's mobile number but works on KaTalk ID.
Kik Messenger, commonly called Kik, is a freeware instant messaging mobile app from the Canadian company Kik Interactive.
Kik is known for its features preserving user's anonymity, such as allowing users to register without providing a telephone number. The application logs user IP addresses, which the company can use to determine location.
As of May 2016, Kik Messenger had approximately 300 million registered users and was used by approximately 40% of United States teenagers. Operating out of Ontario, Canada, this app boasts 200,000 new members per day.
Along with Basic messaging features, Kik app can send videos, Games and more. You can also chat with bots.
150 million registered users from around 200 countries utilize Nimbuzz, whose headquarters are located in Gurgaon, India. Founded in 2006, this app focuses on messaging, Voice over Internet Protocol, and social networking.
Nimbuzz application enables users to enjoy free calls, instant messaging, social games, file sharing, and social networking on their mobile device. In addition; Nimbuzz offers discounted calling rates to most countries in the world. In 2014, Nimbuzz stated they were garnering more than 210,000 new registrations per day.
It is another Instant messaging app which looks like WhatsApp. You can create Telegram groups which can have up to 5000 members. Similar to WhatsApp, it also encrypts messages. It does not have limits on the size of media & chats.The instant messaging app includes options to self-destruct a message in seconds
Line is another rival to WhatsApp messenger. Line launched in Japan in 2011, reaching 100 million users within eighteen months and 200 million users only six months later.
Line became Japan's largest social network in 2013. In February 2015, it announced the 600 million users mark had been passed and 700 million were expected by the end of the year. It is the most popular messaging application in Japan. It is also popular in Taiwan, Thailand, and Turkmenistan.
The app offers features like timeline, coupons, video snapping and support for file sharing of up to 1GB
WeChat is a Chinese multi-purpose messaging, social media and mobile payment app developed by Tencent.
It was first released in 2011, and by 2018 it was one of the world's largest standalone mobile apps by monthly active users, with over 1 billion monthly active users (902 million daily active users). In addition to China, it is also the most popular messaging app in Bhutan.
Skype is a telecommunications application software product that specializes in providing video chat and voice calls between computers, tablets, mobile devices, the Xbox One console, and smartwatches via the Internet and to regular telephones.
Skype additionally provides instant messaging services. Users may transmit both text and video messages and may exchange digital documents such as images, text, and video. Skype allows video conference calls.
Much of the service is free, but Skype Credit or a subscription is required to call a landline or a mobile phone number. At the end of 2010, there were over 660 million worldwide users, with over 300 million estimated active each month as of August 2015.